Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Done and Done!

I'm a bit late in posting this. I actually passed the 50,000-word mark on November 10th. I've been spending my time since then doing the first edit. My novel, CANNIBAL ISLAND, wound up being 57,000 words. After the first edit, it shed a little over 1,000 of those previously beautiful words and is now down to just a little over 56,000.

To be honest, this is my first attempt at a boy-focused adventure novel, and, if I do say so myself, it's not bad. I'm hoping an agent will find it of interest and offer representation so young readers can join Richard on his quest for the gold.

Just for fun, I'm going to paste my query letter below and see if I get any comments, suggestions, encouragement, or criticisms. Feel free to express your opinion.



Dear Agent:

Check into your turn-of-the-century cabin aboard The Seahorse for a dangerous voyage to CANNIBAL ISLAND, a Young Adult Steampunk Adventure that will take you from England to Peru in 56,000 words, complete with a Light Emitting Oscillator and Perpetual Matches.

When the old man with the monkey tells Richard Armstrong about the treasure, eavesdropping and oily-haired dirigible owner Hans Von Hisle is listening. Hans tricks Richard’s girlfriend, Wren Remington, into getting on the dirigible with him and beats Richard to the island. It’s a pretty place — complete with sharks and cannibals.

If the cannibals weren’t so intrigued by Wren’s beauty, she might be hanging in the underground chamber by now with her eyes burned out and another limb missing each time dinner is prepared. Of course, she has to spend a little time on the Sacrificial Altar first.

Although blinded by her beauty, these cannibals are a crafty little bunch. When Richard ventures into the underground chamber to rescue Wren, he falls into their clever trap. Darkness surrounds him as the poison darts start flying, and courage is the only weapon Richard has left. It’s going to take more than courage to escape when the cannibals push the stone lever and set the ancient mechanism in motion.

I would be happy to send sample chapters or the full manuscript for your consideration.

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment